Saturday, January 8, 2011

Stuff Heather Likes

The ironic, hipsters-who-make-fun-of-hipsters blog Stuff White People Like keeps a running tally of cultural references, customs, foods, etc. that white people (young middle class hipsters, generally) like.  I had seen the blog quite awhile ago but since it updates fairly infrequently (the authors oh-so-ironically got a book deal!), I hadn't checked it in quite some time. Today, in a fit of internet boredom, I checked the full list just to see if anything new I liked had popped up ...

And guess what? Out of 134 items, I only "like" 66 of them.

What does it all mean? ...probably that I'm not really a well-off hipster.

My own list would probably be a little more girl-centric, less "white", and definitely more grad student-oriented.  So I thought I'd try to think of some stuff my list would include, such as:

window shopping at Anthropologie and West Elm
local bands
Trader Joe's
food carts
non-chain restaurants
student discounts
eating food from countries you will never visit
dreaming of international (and domestic) travel
my sister
tax-free shopping weekend
Coke Icees
the public library
crafting
soccer (US national team and EPL)
football (NCAA and NFL)
baseball (only my Rays, but going to minor league games is fun!)
kayaking
the beach
the pool
singing
playing the piano
vintage glass Christmas ornaments
home decor (painting, fabrics, furniture placement)
Dunkin Donuts
GAP perfume
gray boots (as seen here)
wrapping paper (buying it, using it)
yellow accessories (belts, purses, shoes)
knitting
blogs
DIY tutorials
home improvement projects (see here)
cloth diapers
the idea of learning to sew
guy friends
best friends
ink pens (blue ink only, if you please)
the idea of having time to cook
breadmakers
the Magic Bullet
the Griddler
advice (giving and receiving)
Jimmy Fallon
30 Rock
The Office (I have to include the stipulation: pre-season 6)
Will Ferrell
Christmas movies
Thanksgiving
quilts
IKEA
iced coffee
Earl Grey tea
bubble tea
BBQ
GoFugYourself
my iPod
my amazing SkullCandy earbuds
postcards

Ok, I have to stop or I could literally be here forever! But I think you get the point. There are so many great things and experiences in our world! Making lists like this are a great reminder for me that even if the big picture circumstances aren't going my way right now, there are little pockets of blessing to cheer me up. It works much better than reading some overly-ironic blog. :)

What would your list look like? Are any of my things on your list too?

No comments:

Post a Comment