Thursday, January 27, 2011

Some prudent advice

Jamie, one of the authors of the hit blog Prudent Baby, has written a book of advice for her daughter called Prudent Advice. 500 pieces of this advice, which Jamie calls "A collection of lessons of questionable importance to share with my daughter before we grow up", can be found at Prudent Advice for my Baby Daughter. I find this idea and the advice offered to be utterly delightful!! So, I thought I would share some of my favorite bits with you (with a little of my commentary in italics), after the jump...

Your beauty is not something you earned; appreciate it but maintain modesty and humility in regards to you. 
Few things are as unattractive as a pretty woman who flaunts her assets in a boastful manner. Few things are as sad as a pretty woman who believes her beauty defines her worth. 

Root for Other People 
We all tend to envy other people's successes. It's not intentional; somewhere in our DNA it seems to be programmed that for every success for someone else, there is one less success for us. For every book published, there is one less book we will publish; for every baby had, there is one less baby for us to have. Of course, that is illogical. Fight off those thoughts; there is an unlimited amount of potential for everyone in this universe. Championing others is kind, and even more, it's a display of optimism that will seep into you and color your view of this life.   

Always make time for the art museum in every city you visit 
You learn much about a city and yourself when you see its art collection. A good museum will fill your chest up until it feels as though your heart could explode.   

Try to use people's names when you address them, even if you are fairly certain you are never going to see them again. 
For example, the gentleman who prepares your coffee or the woman who hands you your valet ticket. I have found that people feel good when you acknowledge them in this way. 

In soccer, scoring scores points, passing wins games.
Know where your teammates are at all times, even before you receive the ball, and the less touches on the ball, the better. 

You only need to call once and leave one message.

There are some topics of conversation that a lot of people like to talk about, but very few people like to hear about.
In general, I suggest saving these topics for your close friends: Your physical aches and pains, the content of your dreams, intimate details of your personal relationships, whining of any kind.
[this one makes me embarrassed about my tweets! I will try harder to self-edit, friends!] 

Don't Built a Case
When a personal relationship is causing you stress, be aware of your actual feelings and communicate them instead of building a case against the other person. For example, you don't need to list the seven things the person did that you didn't like, including the time they yelled at the flight attendant, yawned while you were speaking or fell asleep while you were driving. If you run off a list of errors you believe someone made, you will appear judgmental and will put them on the defensive. You will also get into a detailed discussion of each individual event rather then addressing your feelings as a whole. It's just more productive if you speak to your emotions rather then the "case" you have built against the object of your frustration. It's also a way to keep yourself honest. 

If you love a poem, passage, speech or piece of prose, memorize it.
Then you will always have it with you. 

Always RSVP.
I don't speak in absolutes too often, but this is just decency. How wonderful to be invited! Be courteous in response. 

Let it be.
Sometimes you just need to give it some time. It's hard to believe, but things really do tend to work themselves out, whether or not you are anxious about them.
[I would alter this to say "Let God be God". His strength is made perfect in my weakness.]    

Teach your baby the word "yes".
They learn "no" on their own so quickly. 

A handwritten letter exudes warmth and class.

Keep good olive oil and real vanilla extract in your pantry.
These are two simple ingredients that make a big difference in the way your food tastes. 

The trick to sewing in a straight line is a rubber band.
Wrap a rubber band around the base of your machine at the distance from the needle you want your hem to be. If you watch the needle while you sew, your stitches will look like you were sewing through an earthquake, so focus on the rubber band.
[filing this away...] 

Order the local specialty.

You are the wellspring of your own hope.
No one (besides your mother) will be more invested in your emotional well-being than they are in their own. Joy is not something gifted to you by other people; it's an outlook on the world that you have to cultivate independent of friends and lovers. Daughter, if I could give it to you, I would, a million times over, but the truth is that you are singularly responsible for your own happiness. 

Try to bring things into your home that you either need or love and let the rest go. 

Live alone for a period of time.
I love living with you and your father; I also cherish the years I spent living alone. You shouldn't go from being someone's daughter to someone's wife to someone's mother without first being someone yourself. Living alone will allow you to discover who you are when no one is watching, what you need to get through a day, and ultimately that you are a capable, independent woman.
[this one was somewhat difficult in practice for me, but I agree with it wholeheartedly, now more than ever. There is something fundamentally important in being solely responsible for your food, paying your bills, and being your own company that teaches you what you're capable of.]    

Do not comment on anyone's weight.
Whether overweight or thin, it just makes people uncomfortable when you discuss their bodies. It's really none of your business anyway. 

Unless you're playing a game, there's no point in keeping score.
Running a tally of who gets what in life will only frustrate you and annoy everyone else. It serves no purpose; the way life's benefits and hindrances are doled out will never make any sense. 

Leggings are not pants.
[ha!]


and my personal favorite... 

If you have a daughter that can't sleep, sing "In My Life" to her
This is your favorite lullaby. You gently pat my face with your tiny hands while I sing it to you, and by the end of the second round you are asleep. John Lennon wrote this in 1964, the year after his son Julian was born. It is my personal opinion he wrote it thinking of his baby, and when I hear it or sing it, I think of you.

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends
I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all
But of all these friends and lovers
there is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more
In my life I love you more 

(from 500 Pieces of Prudent Advice for my Baby Daughter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment