Tuesday, February 1, 2011

driving school with Heather

I take driving very seriously. So does my dear friend Amy. She has a post up today about different types of dumb driving behaviors. Her #3 issue (People Who Brake Uphill) is, I believe, indicative of a larger problem- a group I would like to call "People Who Do Not Understand How To Use (And Not Use) The Pedals Properly". (PWDNUHTUANUTPP for short. It's quite a name!) To these people: You can do better! FINESSE THE PEDALS, DRIVERS OF THE WORLD. It's safer and will save you money! And other drivers will appreciate it. "Cool! But how do I do that?", you ask. Here, let me explain...


1. The first thing you must know is this: braking is the enemy. It wastes all of the gas you just used to accelerate. Braking excessively will cause you to have to accelerate more frequently, thus using more gas. It's a vicious cycle.

2. Coasting is your friend. It saves you money on gas by prolonging your forward motion at a decreasing speed, without consuming more fuel. You should always try to coast before having to brake. 

3. If you must brake (like at a stoplight, etc), brake a reasonable amount. Do not slam on your brakes, but don't ride them forever either. The former because it is both annoying and dangerous, and the latter because that forces the cars behind you to do it too, and wears everyone's brakes out faster (especially down hills). Which brings me to point #4...

4. Gravity is your friend too. It will slow you down going up hills and speed you up going down hills, if you let it. USE THE FORCE. It's okay to go over the speed limit a tiny bit when coasting down a hill. You will not get arrested, and other drivers will hate you less. I promise.

5. Mashing the accelerator is not as annoying as mashing the brake, but it is a HUGE waste of gas! And, it's just dumb in certain road conditions, such as rush-hour traffic, when you know you have to brake again pretty quickly. For rush hour, just ease onto the gas pedal, then coast, braking only when necessary. Fast acceleration is only okay (though still wasteful of gas) is when a red light turns green, because some of the cars behind you (me) have places to go and you're not accelerating fast enough for them (again, me). When a light turns green, I like to steadily accelerate at a decent rate until I reach my maximum speed, which I will then maintain with a lighter touch on the gas pedal and coasting if possible. This tells the other drivers on the road exactly what speed I will be going, so they can adjust accordingly (passing me, getting out of my way, etc.). But, if I know I will be stopping again soon, I accelerate mildly and coast until I have to stop completely. (Punching the gas pedal when I'm about to pass you is an example of annoying acceleration, but that falls more under my The Purpose Of The Left Lane On The Interstate and How Not To Be A Passive-Aggressive Jerk While Driving tutorials, which I will cover at some point, I'm sure.)

6. Pedal-mashing is especially bad in inclement weather, when it becomes more overtly dangerous. Hard braking and accelerating on icy roads can cause you to spin, and on wet roads you can hydroplane. I see so many BMWs in ditches on snowy days!

Ok, now you've got the basics. So go out and try it! Braking the right amount, coasting, and accelerating evenly will improve your life, as well as the lives of those driving around you. And, your gas budget and your brakes will thank you!

1 comment: