Monday, June 29, 2009

Letters to Our Daughters Project quote

I found this today catching up on the posts of one of my favorite bloggers, Isis the Scientist. She writes a divine blog about being a woman/wife/mother while also being an amazing scientist and a bit of a shoe diva. She has recently begun a series of posts composed of letters of advice written for young female scientists, which broadly apply to young women in general. The quote is from a senior woman scientist's letter, written for her "daughters in science"- the women scientists who are coming up behind her. She writes:



** Try to wait as long as you can before making career choices (and life-choices), and then, later, try to remember that you made these choices with the best information you had available at the time, and you would probably do the same again without hindsight. As a result of this reflection, DON'T FEEL GUILTY about what you choose to do, even if it is quite different from what other people choose, or what others tell you that you 'should have' chosen.

This is earth-shaking advice! Literally. Earth. Shaking. I just had to share it, because I so need to hear it at this point in my life. Why do I feel like I need to respect the opinions of other people over my own opinion when it comes to what I should do with my life?? Evidently, I'm not the only one!

Ok, just had to share that. Sorry for the erratic posting lately!

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment